ASSESSMENT & REFERRAL
Mental Health Services
If you are seeking care for yourself, a loved one, or someone you know, our Screening, Triage, Assessment & Referral (STAR) team will talk you through an assessment process. They will work with potential clients and families to help them feel comfortable and learn about the mental health treatment options that are available in our county. Our team will ask about current concerns as well as past history. An assessment helps us to evaluate current symptoms so that we may identify a program and/or services which best meet the needs of an individual.
A family member or friend may be present during the assessment process, if helpful for assistance and support. The assessment helps us to determine a mental health diagnosis for an individual and to determine the best type of service. Eligible clients are referred to one of our Behavioral Health clinics. If the STAR team determines, through their initial screening or assessment, that an individual is not eligible for specialty mental health services through Behavioral Health, referrals are given to community programs.
To access mental health services, or for immediate help, please call 1-866-998-2243.
Provider Referrals for Specialty Mental Health Services
1. Providers referring clients discharging from Inpatient Psychiatric Units, Crisis Units, Crisis Stabilization Units, or Residential Facilities should complete and submit the following form per included instructions:
- Referral to the VCBH STAR Program Post Inpatient Hospital, Crisis Stabilization Unit or Residential Facility (Form 1)
2. Providers referring clients who are not currently receiving the services listed in #1 above and are current beneficiaries of Ventura County Medi-Cal, should complete and submit the following applicable referral form per the included instructions:
- Child Behavioral Health Screening Form for Assessment and Treatment as Medically Necessary: 0 - 17 (Form 2)
- Adult Behavioral Health Screening Form for Assessment and Treatment as Medically Necessary: 18+ (Form 3)
3. Providers referring clients who are not currently receiving services listed in #1 above and do not currently have active Ventura County Medi-Cal, should complete and submit the following form per the included instructions:
Substance Use Treatment Services
For information and services related to AB 1299 Presumptive Transfer of Medi-Cal for Specialty Mental Health Services for Foster Children, please contact the Quality Assurance Unit at QM.UR@ventura.org Presumptive transfer notifications can be sent by fax to 805-973-5190 or emailed to QM.UR@ventura.org.
Primary Care Integration Program
The PCI provides a short term approach to depression care at the Health Care Agency ambulatory care clinics throughout Ventura County. Services are provided to both adults and adolescents through referrals between primary care physicians and mental health clinicians. Utilizing a team approach, the clinician, primary care physician and consulting psychiatrist work together to support the individual, all within the patient’s medical home.
Transformational Liaison includes individuals with personal experience within the mental health system as clients or family members. They provide advocacy, resource development, represent the individual and family perspective within the mental health system, and most importantly serve as liaisons between the County, client, family member, and community. The Transformational Liaison is responsible for providing orientations to clients and their family members who are new to the behavioral health system.